Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Doing my best to resist the temptations


Unfortunately this picture is not old. It was taken Saturday night... Yes, after three whole days without smoking a single cigarette, I had one on Saturday night and the reason is pretty obvious: alcohol!! If I learned anything from that night, it's that I haven't been cigarette-free long enough for me not to enjoy one when I smoke. I wasn't disgusted by the smell or the taste and didn't feel atrociously guilty after smoking it... But I learned my lesson. And I did have someone take a photo so that I wouldn't be able to deny it.
Quitting smoking is a process that encompasses so much more than just not smoking. You also have to avoid temptations. That includes not drinking and hanging out with your smoker friends for a while... At least those are the worst temptations for me at this point. So, okay I failed at not smoking when drinking but I did a pretty good job at resisting temptation #2: watching someone smoke without lighting one...
Last night, I had dinner at a friend's restaurant and at the end of the night, after what could definitely be called a feast, my friend turned off the window lights and closed the place for the night. He sat down at our table, right in front of me and lit a cigarette. AAARRRGGG!!!! I look at my girl sitting next to me and gave her the look... That look that says: OMG he did NOT just light a cigarette in front of me, indoors, after a huge meal!! It was hard. Very hard. I still crave cigarettes but I usually manage to get over it within a minute or two. But that was just torture. I reached for his pack and grabbed one. "Don't do it!" they all say... I held it between my fingers and looked at it closely. I smelt it and started tapping it on the table as if I was about to light it. Then, I put it back on top of my friend's pack. He was still smoking his at this point and all I could smell was the smoke, which was not even appealing to me. But yet, I wanted to smoke! I looked away for a while, then grabbed the cigarette again and went through the same cycle. As soon as he was done with it, I knew there was no way I was going to smoke if no one else was. So I put it back in the pack. And within seconds, it was like it never happened. Victory!!!
Having someone next to me to remind me not to smoke was very helpful too. Thanks Mama ;)
Since I could be cigarette-free for almost a week if it wasn't for my fuck up on Saturday night, my next goal is to not touch one for a whole week!

Days until my birthday: 47
Days without a cigarette: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment