Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How it all started and why it has to end




Days before my birthday: 53
Days without smoking: 0
Weight: 140Lbs.

I've been smoking for eight years. That's a long time!! And I need to think back to when it all started before I can say goodbye forever. Do I remember my first cigarette? No. Do I remember why I started? Not really. I know it wasn't peer pressure because all my friends started smoking 2-3 years before I ever touched a cigarette and I used to be proud of that! Doesn't mean much now... And yes, I grew up in France so 90% of my friends were smokers. Anyway, in a few months I went from stealing a couple of cigarettes from my mom (without her knowledge of course) to buying my own pack, and before I knew it I was a smoker, and quitting wasn't easy. Not that I ever really tried. But somehow I always thought I would quit at some point, at least when/if I was ever pregnant. Now I'm 25 and single, and I see no babies in my near future so I can't count on being preggers to do the right thing.
Why now? Well, like a lot of smokers I think I'm just tired of it all: the taste and smell, the cost, standing alone outside and especially the fact that I'm way too young to have a smoker's cough and stains on my teeth. Yes, we all know the health risks related to smoking but until you actually see or feel the effects on your own body it doesn't really sink in. I'm still in good health, and I want to keep it that way.
As for my smoking habits, being sick for over a week definitely helped me bring it down a lot... averaging two a day for the last four days (ok I had three yesterday...) and after smoking half a pack to a pack a day at the end of 2009 I have to say I'm pretty happy. But I have yet to go one day without touching a cigarette. I never thought I could quit cold turkey anyway so I might have to go through different methods before I succeed. Next stop: Walgreeens for some nicotine gum!
Oh and to keep my eyes on the prize I posted some photos to remind me why I'm doing this...

3 comments: